Monday, December 1, 2008

The Yak....

I love when Andrew started to learn to read. He's in one of the higher reading levels at school. I am nothing short of proud! He's learned to read things by sounding the words out, or he shoots right for the phonetic sounding of it.... Hence my story. Andrew comes bounding into my bedroom saturday night bubbling over w/ excitement. He plays his video games and occasionally let's me know what new level he has achieved. Tonight.... he found a big "Yak". In a game filled with cars and trucks, motorcycles and whatever else, I was surprised to hear of a Yak. But I went along with it. I asked him what color the "yak" was. "Brown mommy, with silver". Okay sounds good enough... So I ask some more... "Where is the Yak?", "On the Beach mommy! Where should it be?". He was getting mad now.... obviously agitated because I was interrupting his video game highlights. Now I am thinking and I ask him if he rode the yak. He said, "Mommy.... the Yak must not have a motor because I tried to drive the Yak and it just sat there...". I asked him to tell me how he knew, the YAK, was indeed a "Yak". "Mommy.... it's spelled right on the side." So he runs into his room and begins to read to me, the letters on the YAK.... "Mommy... are you listening? Y-A-C-H-T". YAK.... you see the "H" and the "T" appear to be silent.... I tried not to explode with laughter. It was too cute to me and so funny. AND.... being the 6 year old he is.... was adament it was still pronounced "Yak". Which reminds me of the time he was watching something and hears the word "Nipples", but is certain he heard "niffles". I'll have to watch out at Wal Mart to see if they sell baby bottle niffles. Kids are so funny and mine is no exception. He has a wonderful sense of humor and can be quite the smart ass like his mother. = )

If I ever win the lottery.... I am going to buy a Yacht and surely name it "The Yak".

No comments: