Thursday, November 20, 2008

1 Year ago.....

A year ago tomorrow - November 21st, I lost my dear Grandpa O'Brien. I cannot believe it has been a year since he has passed. I think about him daily and miss him dearly. I remember when I was little and he'd come poke me with what we grandkids called, "The iron finger". He'd walk up and jab us in the ribs and make a loud "Bzzzzzssst" noise when he did it. It never really tickled.... it was the jolt that got us most and sent us into giggles. I remember he always had a pretty flower garden, a freshly mowed lawn, and a never ending supply of prune juice in the fridge. I loved that stuff.... I always wanted it, not clearly understanding the outcome of the juice.... I remember Christmas's' at his house. It was where we gathered every year as a family. Sitting at the same big table w/ all my aunts and uncles and cousins. He had all sorts of neat clocks amazed me as to how they worked (I don't know where he got them but they released a marble every half hour.... and... well it was just too cool to me!). He had an old timey car that had a "rumble seat" in the back. We rode in parades in it. He drove that car everywhere. My grandfather was a very tall man, well over 6 feet. He looked like a giant in that car. = ) My grandmother died when I was a baby and my grandpa never remarried. He kept up his house.... worked on his computer and visited all his kids. He was always busy and always up to something. He seemed so vibrant on his 85th birthday. I went to Buffalo NY to see him and he got to meet his great grandson, Kevin Andrew (he was 6 months old then). My grandpa died in his sleep of old age. He was peaceful and he didn't suffer. I'll miss him always. I know he's in a better place. I love you grandpa O'Brien. = )

No comments: